Language Schools & Programs
Special weekend and evening schools offering classes in language and culture have been organized by the local international community. Although designed primarily for children of the specific nationality to maintain their culture, classes for adults and for non-native speakers may also be available. Below is a listing of several language schools in the area.
St. James Armenian Church
St. James Sunday/Armenian School holds Armenian classes for grades K-5. Students learn to read and write Armenian, while exploring their Armenian culture and history. Students also learn the Armenian alphabet, vocabulary, and how to speak Armenian at a moderate conversation level.
- St. James Armenian Church
The Richmond Chinese School
The Richmond Chinese School offers ten levels of instruction for students between the ages of five and eighteen, as well as two classes for adults. In the classroom the students are taught the literary skills involved with the Chinese language as well as the speaking of Mandarin Chinese.
- The Richmond Chinese School
Springfield Park Elementary School
Springfield Park Elementary School has a German-English International Program. The program, designed for children whose native language is German, was initiated in 1996 to serve the children of employees of German-speaking families newly located in local Richmond businesses. The program supports students from Germany in their German language, so that when they return to Germany they will not have lost any academic skills. Contact: 804-527-4630
- Springfield Park Elementary School
Rudlin Torah Academy is a Jewish Day School serving Jewish youth of all backgrounds in grades K-12. It offers quality education in both Jewish studies and traditional academic subjects.
Other religious schools and programs for children and adults offered by local agencies and congregations include:
- Congregation Beth Ahabah’s Barbara & William B. Thalhimer, Jr. Religious School: 804-358-6757
- Congregation Brith Achim Religious School: 804-732-3968
- Congregation Or Ami Reform Religious School: 804-272-0017
- Congregation Or Atid Religious School: 804-740-4747
- Weinstein Jewish Community Center of Richmond: 804-285-6500
- Aleph Bet Preschool: 804-740-2000
- VCU Hillel: 804-545-8657
- Virginia Commonwealth University Center for Judaic Studies: 804-827-0909
- University of Richmond, Jewish Studies: 804-289-8248
The Hindu Center of Virginia provides classes every Sunday for young children to learn Indian languages.
The school is open on Saturdays, once a week for the purpose of providing students an opportunity to retain and develop Japanese language skills and expand their knowledge of Japanese culture and traditions.
Contact: 804-272-1475 or 804-249-3751 (Ms. Kang, Administrator)
Asnex Inc. offers classes in Japanese language and culture.
In This Section
- Primary & Secondary Public Schools
- Private Schools
- Higher Education
- Language Schools & Programs
- Student Organizations
Greater Richmond Partnership, Inc.
901 E. Byrd St., Suite 801
Richmond, VA, USA 23219